at 0km (N) from Archaeological Museum of Herakleion
The most magnificent collection of Minoan art and culture in the world, unique in beauty and completeness is housed in this museum. The exhibiton of the museum is organized in chronological order, ranging from the Neolithic period to the Roman era (4th century A.D.) and geographically, according to the provenance of the finds.
at 0km (S) from Archaeological Museum of Herakleion
It is in the Ikarou Avenue, next to the Epigraphic Collection of Heraklion Museum. Within an arched construction which, is surrounded by two big square columns, decorated with rosettes, there is a relief spout of fine workmanship. The water is gathered in a marble basin adorned by a richly decorated relief.
at 0.1km (S) from Archaeological Museum of Herakleion
It is next to the external Gate of St. George, underneath the statue of Eleutherios Venizelos. Within an arched construction, which its top is decorated with floral elements, there is a plaque and the spout is within a relief decorated frame. The water was collected in a marble basin of a similar decoration.
at 0.1km (S) from Archaeological Museum of Herakleion
The Gate of Agios Geórgios (GR: Πύλη Αγίου Γεωργίου - Saint George also called the Gate of Maroula or Lazaretto) was one of the central gates of Chandax during the Venetian period. Today it connects Eleftherias Square with Ikarou Avenue and at the same time is used as an exhibition venue. The gate used to lead towards the eastern provinces of the city, the Maroula suburb and the Lazaretto. Designed by Giulio Savorgnan and dedicated to St. George, the monumental city side facade featured a relief medallion of the warrior saint on horseback, set directly above the finely carved stones that formed the main portal. This monumental facade was demolished in 1917 for the opening of today’s Democratias Avenue. Of the gate today, its entrance towards Ikarou Avenue is preserved, the internal domed hall and part of its climbing arcade which have been restored by the Municipality of Heraklion.
at 0.1km (NE) from Archaeological Museum of Herakleion
The Museum of the Battle of Crete and National Resistance (1941-1945) was founded by the Municipality of Heraklion in May 1994.The museum's aim is to collect, preserve and exhibit relics from 1941-1945 in an appropriate manner, as well as to document and disseminate information on the people's struggle during the Battle of Crete and the German-Italian occupation. In addition to presenting a range of material witnesses to the past, the museum aims to cultivate interest and respect for the history of Crete. Contact details: Doukos Beaufort and Merambellou Str. Tel. (+30)2810 246 554
at 0.2km (SW) from Archaeological Museum of Herakleion
The Emmetropia Mediterranean Lasik Eye Clinic, a private-sector ophthalmic surgery clinic, offers advanced vision correction in a patient-centered environment. Access to conventional and cutting-edge refractive surgery technologies such us Lasik, Lasek and more, for a wide range of vision problems, enable our physicians to optimize results by meeting each patient´s individual needs.
at 0.2km (N) from Archaeological Museum of Herakleion
Our completely renovated hotel in Heraklion City is ready to accommodate and provide high hospitality services to its visitors. In a very small distance from the Heraklion town centre, constitutes an ideal choice so much for the professionals as well as for the travellers who are visiting Heraklion for recreation. Providing the exotic view of the harbour with the famous fortress of KOULE standing beneath the Hotel visitors will escape from the everyday routine. The relaxing environment and the friendly atmosphere that prevails in combination with the accessible prices at all the duration of year render MARIN DREAM HOTEL a really… must be and dreaming choice ! The communal spaces of the hotel are completely air-conditioned and include restaurant with traditional Greek cuisine and rich breakfast, living room with television and a big lounge for rest, relaxation with coffee and sweets and also for conversation with friends or collaborators. Marin Dream Hotel allocates still roof garden with panoramic view. Separate coffee bar of hotel, one of the most popular meeting places of the city, serves coffee, drinks, light dinners, sweets, ice-creams and is opened from early in the morning till late in the evening.
at 0.2km (NE) from Archaeological Museum of Herakleion
The Club was founded in 1928 by Stelios and Stefanos Perdikojiannis, Meletis Kokkinakis, and Nikos Pandelakis. Until 1940 it was operating as an independent part of the Union of Athletic Associations of Iraklion, having Mr George Voiolas as president. In 1946 it became an independent club under the name "Tennis Organization of Iraklion" , commonly "TENNIS", with department of tennis and table tennis. Later in 1968 two more departments were added, basketball and volleyball, and finally the department of chess in 1978. In 1975 the club was renamed to "Iraklion Sports Club". Today the most active departments are: Basketball, Tennis, Table tennis, Chess. Links: Official Site
at 0.3km (W) from Archaeological Museum of Herakleion
The "Morosini's fountain" or "Lions' fountain" that dominates the center of Eleftherios Venizelos square in Iraklion old town, is a landmark both for locals and visitors. A masterpiece of the Venetian era that would be the pride of any city in the world. It was made in 1628 AD, under the supervision of the General Provisioner Francesco Morosini, to satisfy Candia's (Candia was the Venetian name of Crete and its capital - Iraklion - as well) needs for water. For this purpose an aqueduct was constructed to bring the water from the sacred mountain Giouhtas.
at 0.3km (NW) from Archaeological Museum of Herakleion
With the recovery of Crete from Nikiforos Fokas, the seat of the bishopric is transferred from Gortyna to Chandakas, which became the capital of the island. The new cathedral, which is the most established and largest in the city, is dedicated to the Apostle Titos. Here, amongst other relics, there are gathered the Holy Skull of the Apostle and the miraculous icon of Messopapaditissas. When the Venetians took over Crete, they installed in the orthodox bishop the Latin archbishop, converting by that the church of St. Titos into a Latin bishop. In the middle of the 15th century, the Latin archbishop, F. Dandolo is renovating the church. Other distractions, caused by earthquakes and fire, resulted to the rebuilding of the church from the start around 1557. The church was a basilica, almost square in shape, with a dome in the middle and a bell-tower in the southwest corner. The church from the inside was divided in three aisles with two series of columns. During the Turkish period, the church was given to Fazil Ahmet Kioprouli and it was changed into a mosque, while the bell - tower was transformed into a minaret. The big earthquake of 1856 destroyed the temple which is being, once more, rebuilt. After the exchange of populations, the Church of Crete repaired it accordingly, and in 1925 it was dedicated again to Apostle Titos. East of the church there was the building of the archdiocese.