at 0km (N) from Hotel Iraklion
Featuring rooms with free Wi-Fi, spacious lounge with bar and a 24-hour front desk, Iraklion Hotel is a modern, family run hotel centrally located in Heraklion. Hotel Iraklion offers air-conditioned rooms equipped with satellite TV, refrigerator and hairdryer. Suites also include scales. 24-hour room service is also provided. Iraklion Hotel is just 5 minutes from the port and 10 minutes from the airport. The Archaeological Museum abstains 2.5km from the hotel. Hotel Rooms: 41
at 0.1km (SE) from Hotel Iraklion
The Cathedral of St. Minas:The small church of St. Minas did not meet the religious needs of the constantly growing Christian community, so the demand arose for the erection of a new cathedral. The plot for the new church used to be a garden that belonged to a Turk from whom it was bought. The architect was Athanasios Moussis and in 1862 the foundation stone of one of the most magnificent and impressive Greek churches was laid. The outbreak of the Cretan revolution of 1866 demanded the stopping of the building work which will continue in 1883 in order to be completed in 1895, when the inauguration of the exquisite temple took place. The church is of the cruciform type with a dome based on a high spandrel, while internally there are also elements of a three aisle basilica. It has two bell towers, one in the northeastern corner and the other in the southeastern one. The right aisle is dedicated to Apostle Titos and the left one to St. Ten Martyrs of Crete. The inside of the church has gone through many changes with new additions. With plans of the architect Anastasios Orlandos the woodcut icon screen was replaced by another one made of marble, the same happened with the bishop's seat. The religious painting of the church was assigned to St. Kartakis who followed faithfully the principles and the models of the Byzantine icon painting. The hundredth anniversary from the inauguration of the Cathedral Church of St. Minas (1995) was celebrated with every solemnity that is suited in an equal occasion and more specifically to one of the most glorious and imposing Greek churches.
at 0.2km (E) from Hotel Iraklion
Agia Ekaterini church and Exhibition of Byzantine Art and Ecclesiastical objects. A small sinaitic church of St. Catherine with a Basilica design, houses an exhibition with works of art from the Cretan renaissance. Among the exhibits are some of the most important icons of the Cretan School, ecclesiastical books and manuscripts, vestments, ecclesiastical vessels and relics, wall-paintings, wood-carvings and sculpture.
at 0.2km (N) from Hotel Iraklion
The «General Provisioner» Antonio Priuli made it in 1666 and it is situated today behind the "Bodosakeio" Primary School (in the area of the Venetian Dermata Gate). He decorated it with round and square columns with Corinthian type capitals, while a triangular pediment crowns the whole construction. From both sides of the columns there are niches with their metopes elaborately decorated. In the middle of the fountain there is a Turkish inscription where there is a reference to the name of the Turkish pasha who managed to bring water again in the fountain.
at 0.3km (SW) from Hotel Iraklion
The fortified enclosure of the Venetian Chandakas of the 15th century, which is still preserved today, is one of the most significant monuments of its kind in the whole Mediterranean basin. Triangular in shape, with its base at the sea, the mighty enceinte has a perimeter of about 5.5 kilometres. The hallmark of the defensive layout are the bastions, linked by curtain walls decorated at many points by escutcheons and the lion of St. Mark, symbol of Venetian omnipotence. The gates in the enceinte, which served to link the town to the countryside, still stand as important architectural monuments. To this day, the walls that withstood the Ottoman siege in the mid-17th century mark out the boundary of the old town.
at 0.3km (E) from Hotel Iraklion
The "Morosini's fountain" or "Lions' fountain" that dominates the center of Eleftherios Venizelos square in Iraklion old town, is a landmark both for locals and visitors. A masterpiece of the Venetian era that would be the pride of any city in the world. It was made in 1628 AD, under the supervision of the General Provisioner Francesco Morosini, to satisfy Candia's (Candia was the Venetian name of Crete and its capital - Iraklion - as well) needs for water. For this purpose an aqueduct was constructed to bring the water from the sacred mountain Giouhtas.
at 0.4km (NE) from Hotel Iraklion
The history and culture of Crete, from the first centuries of the Christian era to our present time. An exceptional museum featuring a collection of extremely precious objects, a must see for every visitor to Crete. The museum is housed in a two storey neoclassical building, which was constructed in 1903 on the site of an earlier mansion.
at 0.4km (NE) from Hotel Iraklion
Just a short walk from the Venetian port, Atrion offers elegant accommodation with free Internet access, in the centre of Heraklion city. It has a restaurant, while it is a few metres away from Heraklion’s busy promenade. Rooms and suites at Atrion Hotel are air conditioned and have a balcony, some with views to the Cretan Sea. Each unit comes with a satellite TV, mini bar and hairdryer, and features voice mail. Guests can start their day with a rich buffet breakfast containing a wide variety of hot and cold dishes. Traditional Cretan delicacies and international cuisine is served at the restaurant. The wooden-decked terrace is ideal for an evening drink. The archaeological and historical museum of Heraklion are less than 400 metres from the hotel. The sandy beach of Karteros is a 15-minute drive away. Hotel Rooms: 60
at 0.4km (NW) from Hotel Iraklion
The Natural History Museum of Crete (NHMC) offers the visitors a unique chance of a rich experience on the natural environment of Crete. The aim of the museum of Crete is the study, protection and promotion of the special features of the area of Eastern Mediterranean. It operates under the framework of the University of Crete since 1980.
at 0.4km (SE) from Hotel Iraklion
It was made by "capitano" Gianmatteo Bembo between 1552-1554, it dominates in today's Kornarou square, next to a later Turkish philanthropic fountain. It is decorated with coats of arms and other elements of the renaissance and of gothic type, while in the middle a big headless statue stands out of the roman period. The spring is ornated with floral and embossed elements.