Explore
Navigate
Home
Crete Listing
26 results found 30kms around El Greco (Domenikos Theotokopoulos) matching: History & Archaeology -
Showing 1 - 10
 
List (26)
Map (26)
Page : 1 / 3
Area of search
<---------/60 kms/--------->
Change Area?
Apartment by the sea

A Unique place for unforgettable vacations.

Default Sorting
Sorting By proximity to El Greco (Domenikos Theotokopoulos)
Tylissos Archaeological Site
Tylissos%20Archaeological%20Site
Tylissos

at 11.5km (SE) from El Greco (Domenikos Theotokopoulos)
The houses of Tylissos were built during the LM I period (16th-15th century B.C.). Additions were made on House A in the LM II (15th-14th century B.C.) and on House C during the LM III period (14th century B.C.). The site was destroyed by fire in the 14th century B.C. and re - inhabited in historic times as is attested by ruins of later houses over the Minoan ones. Tylissos was excavated by Joseph Chatzidakis in 1902-1913. In 1954, in the course of restorations, parts of a paved court were revealed to the west, and a small stoa with five columns to the north of the Square of the Altar.
The monuments were restored by the Archaeological Service (under the direction of Nicolaos Platon) in the period between 1954 and 1962. All three houses were again restored in 1990-1994.
Source: The Hellenic Ministry of Culture

Anogeia
Anogeia
Milopotamos, Rethymno

at 12.2km (SW) from El Greco (Domenikos Theotokopoulos)
Anogia is a mountain town with 2500 permanent residents and is 55 km away from Rethymnon and 36 km from Iraklion. The name Anogia, means "high place - Ano Gi", is connected with the location that is built, in altitude of 700 m. Hospitable and pleasant residents have to tell a lot of old stories that have marked the tradition and the culture of the village. Anogia is a well-known village historically for its resident's resistance to the conquerors, Turkish and Germans.

Heraklion Fortification
Heraklion%20Fortification
Iraklion

at 16.8km (E) from El Greco (Domenikos Theotokopoulos)
The fortified enclosure of the Venetian Chandakas of the 15th century, which is still preserved today, is one of the most significant monuments of its kind in the whole Mediterranean basin.
Triangular in shape, with its base at the sea, the mighty enceinte has a perimeter of about 5.5 kilometres. The hallmark of the defensive layout are the bastions, linked by curtain walls decorated at many points by escutcheons and the lion of St. Mark, symbol of Venetian omnipotence. The gates in the enceinte, which served to link the town to the countryside, still stand as important architectural monuments.
To this day, the walls that withstood the Ottoman siege in the mid-17th century mark out the boundary of the old town.

Priuli Fountain
Priuli%20Fountain
Iraklion

at 16.9km (E) from El Greco (Domenikos Theotokopoulos)
The «General Provisioner» Antonio Priuli made it in 1666 and it is situated today behind the "Bodosakeio" Primary School (in the area of the Venetian Dermata Gate). He decorated it with round and square columns with Corinthian type capitals, while a triangular pediment crowns the whole construction. From both sides of the columns there are niches with their metopes elaborately decorated. In the middle of the fountain there is a Turkish inscription where there is a reference to the name of the Turkish pasha who managed to bring water again in the fountain.

Historical Museum of Crete
Historical%20Museum%20of%20Crete
Iraklion town

at 17km (E) from El Greco (Domenikos Theotokopoulos)
The history and culture of Crete, from the first centuries of the Christian era to our present time. An exceptional museum featuring a collection of extremely precious objects, a must see for every visitor to Crete. The museum is housed in a two storey neoclassical building, which was constructed in 1903 on the site of an earlier mansion.

Monastery of St. Peter and St. Paul
Monastery%20of%20St%2E%20Peter%20and%20St%2E%20Paul
Iraklion Old Town

at 17km (E) from El Greco (Domenikos Theotokopoulos)
It is situated approximately in the middle of the seaside wall. It was built from the first years of the venetian domination and belonged to the monastic order of Dominicans (Domenicani Predicatori). It was one of the most important and biggest Catholic monasteries of the city. The earthquake of 1508 caused a lot of damages to the temple. It consists of a long aisle which is roofed by a two slope roof and ends at a sanctuary roofed by two vaults. To the north and south wall of the temple there are windows of different types that were opened either during the Turkish period, or even earlier.
Image Library

Agios Minas Cathedral
Agios%20Minas%20Cathedral
Iraklion Old Town

at 17.1km (E) from El Greco (Domenikos Theotokopoulos)
The Cathedral of St. Minas:The small church of St. Minas did not meet the religious needs of the constantly growing Christian community, so the demand arose for the erection of a new cathedral. The plot for the new church used to be a garden that belonged to a Turk from whom it was bought. The architect was Athanasios Moussis and in 1862 the foundation stone of one of the most magnificent and impressive Greek churches was laid. The outbreak of the Cretan revolution of 1866 demanded the stopping of the building work which will continue in 1883 in order to be completed in 1895, when the inauguration of the exquisite temple took place. The church is of the cruciform type with a dome based on a high spandrel, while internally there are also elements of a three aisle basilica. It has two bell towers, one in the northeastern corner and the other in the southeastern one. The right aisle is dedicated to Apostle Titos and the left one to St. Ten Martyrs of Crete. The inside of the church has gone through many changes with new additions. With plans of the architect Anastasios Orlandos the woodcut icon screen was replaced by another one made of marble, the same happened with the bishop's seat. The religious painting of the church was assigned to St. Kartakis who followed faithfully the principles and the models of the Byzantine icon painting. The hundredth anniversary from the inauguration of the Cathedral Church of St. Minas (1995) was celebrated with every solemnity that is suited in an equal occasion and more specifically to one of the most glorious and imposing Greek churches.



Image Library

Morosini Fountain
Morosini%20Fountain
Iraklion Old Town

at 17.3km (E) from El Greco (Domenikos Theotokopoulos)
The "Morosini's fountain" or "Lions' fountain" that dominates the center of Eleftherios Venizelos square in Iraklion old town, is a landmark both for locals and visitors. A masterpiece of the Venetian era that would be the pride of any city in the world.
It was made in 1628 AD, under the supervision of the General Provisioner Francesco Morosini, to satisfy Candia's (Candia was the Venetian name of Crete and its capital - Iraklion - as well) needs for water. For this purpose an aqueduct was constructed to bring the water from the sacred mountain Giouhtas.
Image Library

Agios Titos Cathedral
Agios%20Titos%20Cathedral
Iraklion Old Town

at 17.3km (E) from El Greco (Domenikos Theotokopoulos)
With the recovery of Crete from Nikiforos Fokas, the seat of the bishopric is transferred from Gortyna to Chandakas, which became the capital of the island. The new cathedral, which is the most established and largest in the city, is dedicated to the Apostle Titos. Here, amongst other relics, there are gathered the Holy Skull of the Apostle and the miraculous icon of Messopapaditissas.
When the Venetians took over Crete, they installed in the orthodox bishop the Latin archbishop, converting by that the church of St. Titos into a Latin bishop. In the middle of the 15th century, the Latin archbishop, F. Dandolo is renovating the church. Other distractions, caused by earthquakes and fire, resulted to the rebuilding of the church from the start around 1557. The church was a basilica, almost square in shape, with a dome in the middle and a bell-tower in the southwest corner. The church from the inside was divided in three aisles with two series of columns. During the Turkish period, the church was given to Fazil Ahmet Kioprouli and it was changed into a mosque, while the bell - tower was transformed into a minaret. The big earthquake of 1856 destroyed the temple which is being, once more, rebuilt. After the exchange of populations, the Church of Crete repaired it accordingly, and in 1925 it was dedicated again to Apostle Titos. East of the church there was the building of the archdiocese.
Image Library

Sagredo Fountain
Sagredo%20Fountain
Iraklion Old Town

at 17.3km (E) from El Greco (Domenikos Theotokopoulos)
It was made by Giovanni Sagredo between 1602-1604, part of it has been built in the Northwest corner of today's Loggia (Town Hall) and it is decorated with a carved female statue which according to Gerola's description probably with the left hand she was holding a shield, while with the right one a kind of a big hammer for display, representing the personification of Crete.

Hotels... (21 ) Rent a Car... (3)


Pages:
123>
Sponsored Links:
In this page:
1. Tylissos Archaeological Site
2. Anogeia
3. Heraklion Fortification
4. Priuli Fountain
5. Historical Museum of Crete
6. Monastery of St. Peter and St. Paul
7. Agios Minas Cathedral
8. Morosini Fountain
9. Agios Titos Cathedral
10. Sagredo Fountain
New Search
within kms from El Greco (Domenikos Theotokopoulos)
History & Archaeology
View 26 results on map New Search



Navigate | Explore
Contact Us
Your gateway to Crete
©interkriti.org 1996-2017
Top