HOME
EXPLORE
Crete
List
Grid
Map
Found 152 - Showing : 1 - 20
Default Sorting
Sorting By proximity to Battle of Crete Museum
Iraklion%20Sports%20Club
Iraklion Sports Club
Iraklion
at 0km (NE)
The Club was founded in 1928 by Stelios and Stefanos Perdikojiannis, Meletis Kokkinakis, and Nikos Pandelakis. Until 1940 it was operating as an independent part of the Union of Athletic Associations of Iraklion, having Mr George Voiolas as president.
In 1946 it became an independent club under the name "Tennis Organization of Iraklion" , commonly "TENNIS", with department of tennis and table tennis. Later in 1968 two more departments were added, basketball and volleyball, and finally the department of chess in 1978.
In 1975 the club was renamed to "Iraklion Sports Club".
Today the most active departments are: Basketball, Tennis, Table tennis, Chess.
Links:
Official Site


Battle%20of%20Crete%20Museum
Battle of Crete Museum
Heraklion
at 0km (N)
The Museum of the Battle of Crete and National Resistance (1941-1945) was founded by the Municipality of Heraklion in May 1994.The museum's aim is to collect, preserve and exhibit relics from 1941-1945 in an appropriate manner, as well as to document and disseminate information on the people's struggle during the Battle of Crete and the German-Italian occupation.
In addition to presenting a range of material witnesses to the past, the museum aims to cultivate interest and respect for the history of Crete.
Contact details:
Doukos Beaufort and Merambellou Str.
Tel. (+30)2810 246 554

Archaeological%20Museum%20of%20Herakleion
Archaeological Museum of Herakleion
Heraklion city
at 0.1km (SW)
The most magnificent collection of Minoan art and culture in the world, unique in beauty and completeness is housed in this museum. The exhibiton of the museum is organized in chronological order, ranging from the Neolithic period to the Roman era (4th century A.D.) and geographically, according to the provenance of the finds.

Genitsar%20aga%27s%20fountain
Genitsar aga's fountain
Iraklion
at 0.1km (SW)
It is in the Ikarou Avenue, next to the Epigraphic Collection of Heraklion Museum. Within an arched construction which, is surrounded by two big square columns, decorated with rosettes, there is a relief spout of fine workmanship. The water is gathered in a marble basin adorned by a richly decorated relief.


Image Library
Chaniali%20fountain
Chaniali fountain
Iraklion Old Town
at 0.2km (SW)
It is next to the external Gate of St. George, underneath the statue of Eleutherios Venizelos. Within an arched construction, which its top is decorated with floral elements, there is a plaque and the spout is within a relief decorated frame. The water was collected in a marble basin of a similar decoration.

Agios%20Georgios%20Gate
Agios Georgios Gate
Iraklion Old Town
at 0.2km (SW)
The Gate of Agios Geórgios (GR: Πύλη Αγίου Γεωργίου - Saint George also called the Gate of Maroula or Lazaretto) was one of the central gates of Chandax during the Venetian period. Today it connects Eleftherias Square with Ikarou Avenue and at the same time is used as an exhibition venue.
The gate used to lead towards the eastern provinces of the city, the Maroula suburb and the Lazaretto. Designed by Giulio Savorgnan and dedicated to St. George, the monumental city side facade featured a relief medallion of the warrior saint on horseback, set directly above the finely carved stones that formed the main portal. This monumental facade was demolished in 1917 for the opening of today’s Democratias Avenue. Of the gate today, its entrance towards Ikarou Avenue is preserved, the internal domed hall and part of its climbing arcade which have been restored by the Municipality of Heraklion.

Crete%20Public%20Bus%20Services
Crete Public Bus Services
Heraklion Port
at 0.2km (N)
Crete Public Bus Services (KTEL) with modern air conditioned buses and experienced personnel, offer travelling people, secured, comfortable, quick & affordable transportation almost to the most remote spot of the island.
The bus station at Iraklion is situated at the port only a few minutes walk from the town's center.
Timetables :
East Crete Timetables-KTEL Heraklio - Lassithi
West Crete Timetables-KTEL Hania - Rethymnon

Emmetropia%20Mediterranean%20Eye%20Institute
Emmetropia Mediterranean Eye Institute
Iraklion
at 0.3km (SW)
The Emmetropia Mediterranean Lasik Eye Clinic, a private-sector ophthalmic surgery clinic, offers advanced vision correction in a patient-centered environment. Access to conventional and cutting-edge refractive surgery technologies such us Lasik, Lasek and more, for a wide range of vision problems, enable our physicians to optimize results by meeting each patient´s individual needs.

Agios%20Titos%20Cathedral
Agios Titos Cathedral
Iraklion Old Town
at 0.3km (W)
With the recovery of Crete from Nikiforos Fokas (961AD), the seat of the bishopric is transferred from Gortyna to Chandakas, which became the capital of the island. The new cathedral, which is the most established and largest in the city, is dedicated to the Apostle Titos. Here, amongst other relics, there are gathered the Holy Skull of the Apostle and the miracle working icon of Messopapaditissas.

Image Library
Sagredo%20Fountain
Sagredo Fountain
Iraklion Old Town
at 0.3km (W)
It was made by Giovanni Sagredo between 1602-1604, part of it has been built in the Northwest corner of today's Loggia (Town Hall) and it is decorated with a carved female statue which according to Gerola's description probably with the left hand she was holding a shield, while with the right one a kind of a big hammer for display, representing the personification of Crete.

Catholic%20Church%20%2D%20Heraklion%20
Catholic Church - Heraklion
Heraklion Old Town
at 0.4km (NW)
The Heraklion Catholic church is located at 2, Patros Antoniou street close to the old port of the city. It is dedicated to Saint John the Baptist and was first built in 1888. In the 1959 earthquake the church suffered serious damages and had to be demolished and rebuilt. The pastor at that time, Father George Roussos, built the present church in 1961-1962. Father Petros Roussos, who was Pastor from 1980 to 2008 refurbished also the Capuchin Monastery that stands next to the church.

Heraklion Chamber of Commerce and Industry
Iraklion
at 0.4km (W)
The Heraklion Chamber of Commerce and Industry constitutes an advisory and consultatory body for both the State and its member-enterprises. Its objective is to represent, follow up and promote industry, manufacture, trade and services aiming at the growth of the local and national economy. It houses also The European Information Center.
9 koronaiou Str., GR 71202, Heraclion Crete, Greece
PO BOX: 1154-71110
tel.: + 30 2810 229013 / fax + 30 2810 222914
e-mail: info@ebeh.gr, http://www.ebeh.gr

Morosini%20Fountain
Morosini Fountain
Iraklion Old Town
at 0.4km (W)
The "Morosini's fountain" or "Lions' fountain" that dominates the center of Eleftherios Venizelos square in Iraklion old town, is a landmark both for locals and visitors. A masterpiece of the Venetian era that would be the pride of any city in the world.
It was made in 1628 AD, under the supervision of the General Provisioner Francesco Morosini, to satisfy Candia's (Candia was the Venetian name of Crete and its capital - Iraklion - as well) needs for water. For this purpose an aqueduct was constructed to bring the water from the sacred mountain Giouhtas.

Image Library
Saint%20Mark%20Basilica
Saint Mark Basilica
Heraklion old town
at 0.4km (W)
The Basilica of Saint Mark is one of the most important Venetian buildings-monuments in Heraklion. Today it houses the city’s Municipal Art Gallery. The Venetians, wishing to consolidate their dominance over their new colony (Heraklion) and to express their gratitude and love for their mother country, built a church in the city’s centre dedicated to Saint Mark, patron saint of Venice. The Basilica managed to survive various earthquakes which afflicted Heraklion over the centuries with only minor repairs. During the Turkish rule it was converted into a mosque, the Defterdar Mosque, named after Defterdar Ahmet Pasha, the head of the financial department. The Ottomans demolished the bell-tower of the basilica and raised a minaret in its place, which in its turn was taken down by the residents of Heraklion after the liberation of the island in their attempt to erase the unpleasant reminders and symbols of the Turkish occupation.

Image Library
Loggia%20%28Heraklion%29
Loggia (Heraklion)
Heraklion old town
at 0.4km (W)
It is an essential public building in every Venetian city, which was not absent even from the colonies. For Candia, Loggia is considered to be one of the most elegant architectural monuments of the Venetian period, a representative sample of the palladian style. During the Venetian period, Loggia was the official meeting place of sovereigns and nobility where they discussed various topics that had to do with economic matters, commercial, and political ones.

Bembo%20fountain
Bembo fountain
Iraklion
at 0.5km (SW)
It was made by "capitano" Gianmatteo Bembo between 1552-1554, it dominates in today's Kornarou square, next to a later Turkish philanthropic fountain. It is decorated with coats of arms and other elements of the renaissance and of gothic type, while in the middle a big headless statue stands out of the roman period. The spring is ornated with floral and embossed elements.

Image Library
Philanthropic%20fountain%20%28Koubes%29
Philanthropic fountain (Koubes)
Kornarou square, Iraklion City
at 0.5km (SW)
It was built in 1776 by Hadji Ibrahim aga. In order to keep it working, he dedicated almost all his property. It is unique in its kind that is still preserved today. It is of a circular type building with a "tholos" and around the walls there are semi-circular windows with rails, in front of each one of them there exist a tap with a stone basin for the water to be collected. Today it is used as a coffeehouse.

Image Library
Koules%20Venetian%20fortress%20%28Castello%20del%20Molo%20%29
Koules Venetian fortress (Castello del Molo )
Iraklion Venetian port
at 0.6km (N)
A seaside fortress situated at the entrance of the old harbour. It was built by the Venetians, before the construction of the new Venetian fortification, in order to protect the pier and the port. It took its last shape in the years between 1523 - 1540 replacing another construction destroyed by an earthquake.

Image Library
Agia%20Ekaterini%20church%20and%20Exhibition
Agia Ekaterini church and Exhibition
Iraklion
at 0.6km (W)
Agia Ekaterini church and Exhibition of Byzantine Art and Ecclesiastical objects. A small sinaitic church of St. Catherine with a Basilica design, houses an exhibition with works of art from the Cretan renaissance. Among the exhibits are some of the most important icons of the Cretan School, ecclesiastical books and manuscripts, vestments, ecclesiastical vessels and relics, wall-paintings, wood-carvings and sculpture.

Idomenea%27s%20fountain
Idomenea's fountain
Iraklion Old Town
at 0.6km (W)
It was built in the end of the 17th century. Today it is found behind the Historical Museum of the city. It is decorated with two columns with floral capitals, while in between them and inside an arched construction there is a marble plaque with relief decoration. The water was running from a specially made hole at the bottom of the plaque, into a marble basin.

Image Library
Constructors and Real Estate
Area of search
Show all Regional interest (86) Sight Seeing (36)Geography & Nature (5)Towns & Villages (49)Beaches (8)Resorts (8)Fountains (10)Culture (48)History & Archaeology (26)Minoan Crete (8)Museums (9)Monasteries (3)Arts & Literature (7)Education & Science (6)Health (3) People & Traditions (1) Tourism & Leisure (2)Hotels... (1 )Rent a Car... (1) Sports & Recreation (3)Transportation (3)Business (3)
C
O
N
T
E
N
T
S
Contact Us
© 2020 interkriti.org