The monastery of Gonia (GR: Μονή Γωνιάς) or Panagia Odigitria, is located 1 km north of Kolimbari (along the Spatha penninsula) and 24 km from the city of Chania in a wonderful place with a magnificent view to the bay of Hania. It was built in the 17th century, in the Venetian fortress style, and it is dedicated to the Assumption of the Virgin.
The monastery replaced an older, 13th-century structure, which was located on the territory of an adjacent cemetery.
The monastery was heavily damaged by Ottoman bombardment on many occasions throughout its history including in 1645, 1652, 1822, 1841, and finally during the Cretan Revolt (1866–1869) against the Ottoman Empire in 1867, evidence of which can be seen today by the remaining cannon ball lodged in the monastery wall.
During World War II the monastery was partly destroyed by German bombing and it became one of the most important areas of Cretan resistance to Nazi Germany.
The Museum owns the following collections:icons, books and manuscripts, liturgical vestments and Collection of heirlooms.
A little to the north of the monastery is located the Orthodox Academy of Crete, an important religious and spiritual foundation in Crete established by the archdiocese of the island.